For the past few weeks I have been really reflecting on how much my life has changed and how I have changed within the past year. A situation recently came up and it made me realize that a person should never have to feel the need to compromise their happiness. A lot of you guys now know that I suffer from anxiety and have been working hard to try to manage it. Even though it has gotten more manageable, there are still times where I tend to over think every little detail in certain situations, and then find myself compromising what I'd want to accommodate what others would like. The stress from trying to please others would have been extremely overwhelming for the person I was a year ago. I now realize that it is okay to say "no" if I am feeling terribly uncomfortable in any situation .
Sometimes certain people and situations will make me super anxious, and in those moments I think it's really important to cater to my own needs. Everybody has their own personal bubble or boundaries that are not meant to be crossed. When a boundary is crossed, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and get yourself out of the situation. I know that sometimes when I find myself in a situation where a boundary of mine has been crossed, I can personally come across as a bit snappy whilst trying to get out. I like to think however, that that is better than being quiet and scared of what people will think, because in the long run I'd just give in to what others wanted and ultimately be unhappy. Plus, everyone deserves a life full of happiness since we only get one life to live..(Haha YOLO). So we might as well make it a good one right?
I have been trying hard to become a more independent person and I think that standing up for myself is a good place to start. In life, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to want you to be a certain way and want you to bend over backwards for them. In those situations, you're going to have to choose who or what you're willing to bend over backwards for, or change for without ultimately violating your morals, values and happiness. It's easy and completely natural to feel guilty or bad for not always accommodating other people's wants and needs. But I guess my point is that it's okay not to accommodate to what they want if it's going to make you uncomfortable and unhappy.
Just some food for thought. I promise my next post will be fashion or beauty related! I know these past two posts have not been relevant to that. Hopefully you guys are enjoying the little "life" posts haha. I guess let me know in the comments below?
A few days ago, my friend Mikayla came back from an exchange program in Sweden. We decided to meet up and catch up on life since she's been gone for the past six months. She actually daily blogged her entire trip, so if some of you guys are thinking about going on an exchange or are going on an exchange and are curious about what to expect, you can read all about her adventures HERE :). and tell her I sent you!
We decided to go for some Thai cuisine since she was craving Asian food and I had never been to a Thai restaurant before. We both ordered the Pad Thai & Salad and it was super delicious! The restaurant that we went to was called Thai Basil.
After that, we just wandered around the streets of downtown Vancouver and popped into a few shops. Later on, we stopped for some bubble tea and chatted. It was a super chill day and it was super nice to finally see one of my best friends again after 6 whole months! I hope you guys are having a fantastic day, until next time!
I'm going to do something a little different today. I have never done a favourites, but it seems simple enough, so I'd thought I'd give it a go and talk about what I have been loving during the month of May :)
1. COVER GIRL Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation. I was super late to jump onto the bangwagon with this one. But better late than never right? This foundation is perfect for oily skin! It feels nice (not tacky, dries quickly), has a medium-full coverage, long lasting and still has a slight glow-y look while keeping almost all the oil at bay. When I wear this foundation, I don't even have to touch up throughout the day, it stays completely put. Love, love, love this!
2. L'OCCITANE Crème divine. I've mentioned this product in my "6 Products I Couldn't Live Without" tag and rightfully so. This moisturizer does everything it claims to do, my skin has not looked as good as it currently does since like....pre puberty. (TMI?). It's a thick cream so a little does go a long way, and it smells absolutely lovely. I know this moisturizer is a more luxurious and expensive choice but I highly reccomend it to those who are suffering from old acne scars, sun spots and uneven skin tone.
3. ELIZABETH & JAMES Nirvana White perfume. I have yet to buy the full size of this perfume (that's why there's no picture!), I'm still using the sample size I got from Sephora. But Holy moly! This stuff smells SO GOOD. It's a light floral scent that's sophisticated and girly at the same time. Some perfumes smell super chemically and gives me headaches, but this one does not! So I'd reccomend this one to those who are more sensitive to fragrances like I am because its not super pungent.
4. JOHNSONS' Extra Conditioning Shampoo. I know this is a baby shampoo but I think this shampoo works best on my hair. I have colour treated hair so it's super gentle and makes my hair feel super soft and healthy. I don't even have to use a conditioner afterwards because the shampoo itself is already super moisturizing.
5. REEBOK Skyscape shoes. These shoes are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. They're cute, stylish and perfect for everyday run-around activities. What I love using these shoes for though, is work. I can stand in these shoes forever and not have my feet hurt. Definitely a love for this month.
And those are my favourites for the month of May! I can't believe it's already June, time has definitely flown right by. Go enjoy the sun everyone, until next time :)
Summer is approaching really fast so I did a little bit of shopping to prepare myself for the upcoming hot weather. Here is a little mini haul of what I have bought :) I only bought a few things and thought it'd be fun to share. I also have a post coming up where I'm going to talk about my May favourites, so stay tuned!
One of my first stops was J.Crew and they were having an additional 50% off all sales items sale, so I bought another one of their plain t-shirts, but this time in a grey colour with specs. I think their clothes are super good quality and I always say that this store reminds me of a Banana Republic for younger people hahaha. I would've gotten more of these t-shirts but they didn't have too many left in my size :(
I was also meaning to find a new pair of sunglasses so at Forever 21, I bought a pair of these cat eyed sunglasses with gold rims. I am obsessed with cat eyed sunglasses at the moment and fell in love with a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses that look identical to these ones. So when I spotted these in the store, you can imagine my excitement. And for a fraction of the cost!
At Victoria's Secret I got this hot pink training bra which was part of their semi annual clearance sale. It was the last one and in my size, so I took it as a sign that I was meant to buy this training bra hahaha. I have been doing a lot of Pilates and ballet beautiful so another training bra never hurts.
And lastly, my most exciting purchase is this small black back pack from PINK. I have actually been looking for a small backpack for a while now. Sometimes I get really tired of using cross body bags, so I thought this would be a cute alternative. It's a fake leather material and is big enough only for my essentials. which is perfect! Because then it'll prevent me from over packing :).
And that's the end of my mini summer haul! I hope you guys enjoyed that, and I'll be back shortly in a few days with my May favourites! Until next time,